The Puccini Festival Foundation is preparing to launch the project for the anniversary celebrations of the centenary of the first performance of Puccini’s masterpiece La Fanciulla del West – The Girl of the Golden West, which took place first in New York in December 10, 1910 in the presence of Maestro Puccini.
Celebrations will be supported by an Honorary Committee chaired by the mayor of Viareggio. Torre del Lago, the town where Puccini lived and composed this opera is located nearby the Massaciuccoli lake in the municipality of Viareggio. There is the new Gran Teatro all’Aperto, a big open air theatre where ever summer Puccini Festival takes place.
This year we are celebrating the 150 anniversary of Giacomo Puccini and the cultural project related to his land is developing.
The presentation of the official The Girl of the Golden West Celebrations program will be hold on December 2 in Brussels: exhibitions, concerts, film retrospectives, meetings, and a totally new production of The Girl of the Golden West. This will have the scenography made by the sculptor Franco Adami, who was contacted for the project Sculpting the Opera, that in the past Igor Mitoraj and Jean-Michel Folon prepared.
There representatives of public institutions (Italian Government, Regions, County, Puccini Towns of the Earth, U.S. ambassador to Italy, ambassadors from the diplomatic missions of countries that staged the work in the presence of the Master, among them Britain, Germany, Hungary, in addition to many theaters, cultural institutions and economic associations, will be called.
Honor Committee will take its place alongside an Executive Committee chaired by Professor Francesca Bardelli. The entire program of celebration will be presented in many other conferences and presentations that have been scheduled in Milan, Paris, Oslo, Tokyo and other European cities.
– Sunday, November 29, 2009, 85 th anniversary of the death of Maestro Puccini;
– Saturday, June 12, 2010, inauguration of the exhibition dedicated to the network of Italian Cultural Institute, presenting the program for the celebrations with special reference to international initiatives, in the second edition of “Open Door Theater.”
– Friday, July 16, 2010 Gran Teatro G. Puccini, inauguration of the 56th Festival Puccini and the first new production of The Girl of the Golden West. The event will be preceded by a gala to be held Thursday, July 15th at Villa Puccini in Chiatri.
– Friday, August 6, 2010, anniversary of the conclusion of writing the score of the work took place in Viareggio, International Conference sponsored in cooperation with Municipality of Viareggio and Puccini Research Center. There will be a day for Puccini musicological studies.
– Friday, December 10, 2010 Puccini Day, debut anniversary of the The Girl of the Golden West in New York. In the days preceding the 10 December evening Gala concert in New York in collaboration with Embassy of Italy at the UN, Ricordi, New York University, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and inauguration of a multimedia exhibition.